Electrical Fires: How They Start, Warning Signs, & Prevention

Oct 6, 2022

Electricity has become a necessity; it is a staple in our everyday lives and households. Yet it poses serious risks to our safety when improperly maintained or neglected. Many fires are electrical fires defined as a failure or malfunctions with the electrical components of equipment machinery. Still, the good news is that electrical fires are preventable if you know what to look out for.

Faulty and aged-out wiring and appliances, lighting fixtures with too high of wattage, extension cords, and space heaters are all examples of electrical fires, and you need to look for key signs to prevent such fires in your home.

These signs include:

The Circuit Breaker Keeps Trippingele

It’s normal to experience a tripped breaker from time to time, although if this is happening consistently, it’s likely because of a more significant issue that needs to be addressed. Consistent trips may result from an overloaded circuit, grounding faults, or a short-circuiting component. When a circuit breaker keeps tripping, it will eventually exhaust itself and stop breaking at all, and this is when an electrical fire can occur.

Discolored Or Charred Outlets And Switches

If you notice an outlet no longer works and has discoloration around it, it indicates that the outlet has already experienced a small electrical spark. A professional must investigate this issue right away to resolve the matter.

Strong Burnt Smell With No Cause

If you smell something burning and cannot locate the source after having inspected your home, you need to turn off your power, and your home’s electrical must be inspected immediately.

Outdated Wiring

In older homes, outdated wiring can no longer support the increased amounts of electrical appliances used today. Everything from microwaves to air conditioners and large TVs adds up and takes a toll on your home’s electrical system. You should have your electrical system often checked to ensure your home will not experience electrical fires.

What Should I Do In The Event Of An Electric Fire?

Electrical fires are very dangerous and can escalate very fast. They can engulf an entire home within minutes, and if you ever need to put out an electrical fire, you must first cut off the electricity. If it is a small fire, smother the flame with sodium bicarbonate like baking soda and cut off the oxygen by smothering the fire with a heavy blanket. Do NOT use water to put out an electrical fire. If your fire extinguisher is fit for Class C fires, proceed to put out the fire using your fire extinguisher.

Winnipeg Electric Experts

If you suspect any warning signs, you must call the professionals, and Expert Electric can help in this regard. Our team will inspect the safety of your home, and our electricians will make sure every component is in order. We have been serving the Winnipeg area for years and if you are looking for reputable electrical contractors in this area, contact us today for more information!